BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

"This is as good as it gets"

Standing in the grocery store line yesterday, I was hungry and I wanted something quick to eat. It had been several hours since I had eaten. But I knew that I had one more stop to make, then drive home, unload the groceries out of the car, put away the groceries and clean the kitchen before I could even think about preparing a healthy lunch for myself. Crap. I was really getting hungry and didn't know how I could wait that long to eat. I looked at the candy in the checkout line. It would be so easy to just grap a candy bar. Then I thought to myself, "THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS." Just like the line from the movie.

Meaning, it doesn't get easier. This is what it is like dieting. It is a challenge. There isn't ever going to be a magical time in your life when eating right and exercising is going to be a breeze. I don't mean there won't ever be days when it is easy. Yes there will be days. But, it doesn't get any easier next month, next year, when summer's over, etc. There will always be challenges. So as I am standing in line, fighting that urge to grab junk and take the easier route, I realized this is it. This IS as good as life gets (for dieting, I'm not talking about life in general, just as it relates to dieting here). There is no better time than now. If I think that it will somehow be "easier" tomorrow, I'm wrong.

So what did I do? I bought the candy bar, didn't eat it in the car and took it home. I made my stop, went home, unloaded the car, put the frozen stuff away. Then I ate a piece of fruit and cut up some vegetables and munched on them while I finished putting the groceries away. The fruit and veges were enough to tie me over until I could eat my lunch of fish and spinach. And yes, then I had a PIECE (about 1/4) of the chocolate bar (to add insult to injury, I was PMSing too, craving chocolate all week and wondering why until today:). I consider it not too bad. A partial victory. I could have done better by not eating any of the chocolate but I could have done a lot worse.

Saturdays are hard for me (diet wise) because I dont' have a set schedule like a work day. And I do a lot of running around. And things come up. And temptations on "grocery day" are high. But you know what? Get used to it. It won't be easier to lose the weight tomorrow. There will always be "Saturdays." This is as good as it gets.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things will get easier to keep on track.

GOOD LUCK

:-).

Matt